makes about 6-8 latkes
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 yellow onion
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 Tbs The Truffleist truffle salt
- 1⁄4 tsp ground pepper
- 1⁄4 c neutral oil (swap in The Truffleist truffle oil, or even better, use schmaltz!)
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Using a box grater or a food processor, grate the potato and onion on the large holes. Transfer to a large tea towel, and wring out the liquid. Set the bundle down for about a minute, then wring it out again.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except for the oil. Stir in the potato/onion mixture with your hands, really making sure everything is thoroughly mixed.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Use a 1⁄4 cup measure to carefully plop in mounds of the latke mixture, then press the mound gently with the back of the measuring cup to flatten. Fry the latkes until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes, then flip.
- Once golden on both sides, remove from the pan and onto the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Continue to fry latkes, a couple at a time, without crowding the pan.
- Serve with sour cream and caviar, or sour cream and apple sauce.